Cancer Resource Links
- THE NATIONAL CANCER INSTITUTE provides many helpful publications on cancer, treatment, symptoms and side effects, and nutrition, including Eating Hints for Cancer Patients. Toll free 1.800.422.6237. Other NCI books are available, free of charge, by calling or at www.cancer.gov/publications.
- CARING4CANCER: Cancer information, news, support, additional links to helpful resources.
- THE WELLNESS COMMUNITY OF SOUTHWEST FLORIDA (TWC) is a non-profit organization providing free psychological and educational services for cancer patients and their loved ones. Our programs adhere to the “Patient Active” concept and focus on providing support, education and hope for anyone affected by cancer. Support groups, stress management, educational programs, nutrition, yoga, tai chi, much more; never any charge to participate. 3900 Clark Road, Bldg P-3, Sarasota, Florida 941.921.5539
- AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY is the nationwide community-based voluntary health organization dedicated to eliminating cancer as a major health problem by preventing cancer, saving lives, and diminishing suffering from cancer, through research, education, advocacy, and service. ACS programs include:
- MAN TO MAN The Man to Man program helps men cope with prostate cancer by providing community-based education and support to patients and their family members. In addition, Man to Man plays an important role in community education about prostate cancer; it encourages men and health care professionals to actively consider screening for prostate cancer appropriate to each man’s age and risk for the disease.
- WOMAN TO WOMAN Support Group for women with breast cancer. Meets the 3rd Wednesday of each month in the Jacaranda Room, Waldemere Medical Plaza, 1921 Waldemere Street, Sarasota. 4:30 to 5pm, social time; 5 to 6pm, meeting. For more information, call 941.917.2636.
- REACH FOR RECOVERY: A one-on-one support system for women diagnosed with breast cancer. A trained volunteer who has been through the same treatment meets with the patient one-on-one to help them with their questions and concerns. Volunteers are able to provide support and up-to-date information. Please call 800-227-9954 for more information.
- LOOK GOOD…FEEL BETTER A one-time support group for women dealing with the appearance related side effects of treatment. Trained, volunteer cosmetologists teach women how to cope with skin changes using products donated by the cosmetic industry. Women also learn ways to disguise hair loss with wigs, scarves and other accessories. Women must register prior to the class by calling 941.365.2858.