What is bone cancer?
Bone cancer can begin in any bone in the body, but often times affects the pelvis or long bones in the arms and legs. There are different types of bone cancers, including Chondrosarcoma, Ewing sarcoma, and Osteosarcoma.
Bone Cancer Symptoms
- Bone pain
- Swelling and tenderness near the affected area
- Weakened bone which leads to fracture
- Unexplained weight loss
Bone Cancer Causes
It is unclear what causes bone cancer, however, here are some risks that are associated:
- Inherited genetic syndromes – certain rare genetic syndromes that are passed through families such as Li-Fraumeni syndrome and hereditary retinoblastoma
- Paget’s disease of bone – most common in older adults
- Radiation therapy for cancer – exposure to large doses of radiation