What is prostate cancer?
Cancer that occurs in the prostate which is a small walnut-shaped gland in men that produces the seminal fluid that nourishes and transports sperm. Usually prostate cancer grows in a slow manner and is initially confined to the prostate gland, where it may not cause serious harm.
Prostate Cancer Symptoms
The symptoms for prostate cancer and benign prostatic hyperplasia are similar but should be investigated by your physician. They include:
- Sudden urgency to pass urine
- Difficulty passing urine
- Passing urine more frequently than usually, especially at night
- Pain when passing urine
- Blood in urine or semen
Prostate Cancer Causes
- Age – more than half of all cases are men over the age of 70
- Family history – a father or a brother diagnosed with prostate cancer increases your risk by 2 to 3 times
- Ethnicity – it is more common amongst African American men
- Vasectomy – men who have had a vasectomy may have a slight increase in risk