What is colon cancer?
Colon cancer is cancer that begins in the large intestine or the rectum.
Colon Cancer Symptoms
- Changes in bowel habits such as diarrhea or constipation
- Blood in the stool
- Unexplained weight loss
- Pain and/or tenderness in the lower abdomen
Colon Cancer Causes
- Age – over 85% of patients with this diagnosis are over 60 years old
- Genetics – family history of colon cancer increases the likelihood
- Benign polyps in the bowel – growths in the bowel are not cancerous but can develop into cancer over a period of time
- Ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease – patients with severe forms of these chronic bowel disease are at an increased risk
- Personal history of cancer – especially cancer of the rectum, ovary, endometrium, or breast